Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 00:57:07 UTC 2007

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:40:49PM -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>> = Strawman of Fedora Developer Ranking System v1 =
>> This concept document contains only *IDEAS* of why we would want a
>> ranking system, and how a ranking system might be useful.  Below are
>> only examples.  Please add your ideas to this thread.
>
> Unfortunately, I think a lot of the larger kernel projects work on
> distributed trust metrics, something that often makes people sqeamish to
> post in public.
>
> Stuff like "we avoid this guy because he sues everybody he meets" or "we

Haven't met anybody like this yet, but if this does happen, this is a
much bigger issue than just the scope of a volunteer project.)

> avoid this guy because he is a huge pain to deal with" can be big

We have a few people like that both inside Red Hat and in Fedora today.
=)  Differing opinions will always exist, and sometimes these differing
opinions are even healthy.  (Even if I personally have mild levels of
loathing toward them...)

If you're talking about somebody following written promotion
requirements to the letter, but is otherwise just an malicious asshole,
that is why the requirements are not in themselves allowing automatic
promotion.  Somebody must explicitly choose to upgrade them.

If that fails, ultimately some decisions must be made by empowered
groups (FESCO or FPB), and others by dictators.  We of course would
codify the ability for decisions to be overridden when common sense
screams it.

(FPB can command almost anything, but very rarely has it needed to.)

> factors, but not something people will endorse publicly.
>
> There are a lot of non-linear, human, biological-esque processes that go
> into medium and large open source projects.   Tough to quantify that.
>
> 	Jeff

These are valid concerns... and maybe this entire system is just
infeasible.  I think we should discuss this to find out.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com