Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 18:42:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:40:49PM -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> = Strawman of Fedora Developer Ranking System v1 =
> This concept document contains only *IDEAS* of why we would want a
> ranking system, and how a ranking system might be useful.  Below are
> only examples.  Please add your ideas to this thread.

 Overkill :-). Sorry, this word comes to mind when I read your
 concept.

> - Who Are You?  As the project grows, you can't possibly know all
> contributors on the other side of the project.  Viewing that
> member's stat page gives you a convenient snapshot of what they are
> working on, who they work with, who sponsored, who promoted, etc.

 Frankly, you can send me a patch from Mars and I will always
 independently or your name check technical quality of the patch only.

 If you send me good patches often I will decide to give you write
 access to SCM. This is the way.

 (BUT.. in distributed development model (and SCM) you needn't any
 access. You need to send me "please, pull from scm://..." only.)

> Each rank will have formal written description of rough requirements
> and

 You cannot describe these things (see Jeff's mail). It's more colored
 and more difficult than someone of us is able to describe.

> responsibilities. (Example: FD3 requires 17 quality reviews or 9
> owned packages and shows clear competence in package guidelines.
> FD4 requires

 9 packages? Define the "package"? Kernel or gnome-sudoku?

 17 quality reviews?  Review of what? Patch to kernel or to any man
 page?

 Please, keep things simple. Nobody wants to study your wiki, nobody
 wants to fight with our processes. I believe we want to work with
 minimal overhead.

 Smart people needn't strong rules. Intelligent and responsible people
 need freedom.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>