Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 21:11:38 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Matthias Saou > After seeing so many situations in which
individuals chase "points",
> often for no good reason [1], like forum posts, ftp/torrent upload
> amounts... I'm pretty sure that groups could stay the ones that Bill
> lists, and that we would all feel a little boost in motivation by
> having these bugzilla points (or something similar) set up. This would
> allow some effort recognition, and would allow us to quickly identify
> who we are dealing with in a package review. I'm all for it.

A coherent recognition system would probably be a good idea for
retention and recruitment.  Some people respond to that sort of
thing.. I'm not one of them. Something like
an outstanding contributors list with a threshold 'point' value that
was engineered to highlight
people who have maintained a threshold involvement consistently over
some time. And perhaps a second list engineering  to include people
who are ramping up their involvement.
If we were really on the ball, we'd squander some money taking out a
full page ad in a paper like the world renownd Fairbanks Daily Miner (
or maybe the less well known NYT for people with more provincial
interests) just to get all the names listed in a high profile thank
you note. That'd puff up contributor morale in some quarters and make
for an interesting round of secondary laypress articles to
counterbalance the poor coverage over this past week.

-jef"doesn't need recognition, jef needs free swag. I want enough
fedora stickers to wallpaper my spare bedroom... one sticker for every
time i've instructed someone use 'su -l' on irc."spaleta