Proposed guideline for init script files

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Feb 28 13:38:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 07:59 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 15:37 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > The Packaging Committee has been discussing guidelines for init scripts for a
> > while.  Currently there is a split between init scripts being marked
> > as %config and many that aren't.  We (the PC) with input from various folks
> > feel it is best to not mark init scripts as %config, and instead promote
> > configuration to happen in an /etc/sysconfig/<init> file.  Mostly the reason
> > being that init scripts are just that, scripts to run and not config files to
> > edit.  As such I've drafted a proposal for the guidelines and the PC approved
> > it.  There is time now for a wider audience to review the proposed change and
> > comment.
>
> +1.  In general if you have to edit an init startup file, it's a bug.

Exactly ... and what can users do about it? Edit them.

With them not being marked %config users can only hope that RH/upstream
fixes it before the next update blows away their edits :(

> Configuration should be in /etc/sysconfig/foo.
But real bugs and missing features init scripts suffer from can't.

As I've said many times before, I consider not marking init scripts
%config a regression, Fedora will regret.

Ralf