Proposed guideline for init script files

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org
Wed Feb 28 13:46:09 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 13:59:29 Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 15:37 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > The Packaging Committee has been discussing guidelines for init scripts
> > for a while.  Currently there is a split between init scripts being
> > marked as %config and many that aren't.  We (the PC) with input from
> > various folks feel it is best to not mark init scripts as %config, and
> > instead promote configuration to happen in an /etc/sysconfig/<init> file.
> >  Mostly the reason being that init scripts are just that, scripts to run
> > and not config files to edit.  As such I've drafted a proposal for the
> > guidelines and the PC approved it.  There is time now for a wider
> > audience to review the proposed change and comment.
>
> +1.  In general if you have to edit an init startup file, it's a bug.
> Configuration should be in /etc/sysconfig/foo.

Right. But are we sure our scripts are configurable enough for usages of all
administrators?

As an administrator, I would like to be able to use Fedora without filling a
bug when my local settings are incompatible with Fedora's init scripts.

What is more, even though an administrator report all bugs, during the period
when the bug is not fixed, Fedora would suck if it overrides local
modifications of those scripts.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau