Proposed guideline for init script files

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 15:48:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:29:15 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > The same applies to all the programs, which are implemented in an
> > interpreted language like Python. Do you want to mark all *.py files
> > %config just because they may contain bugs?
>
> Well, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to like the idea
> to consider rpm's default behavior to override any modified file as a
> bug.

The bug is that somebody modifies installed non-config files without using
the packaging system.

It's called "to mess around in a system". Admins, who do that, often
forget what files they've changed, and "rpm -Va" only reports the changed
checksum, not a diff.

And what behaviour would you prefer during a dist-upgrade? That RPM
refuses to install new binaries, because the user has replaced them with
modified files?