Proposed guideline for init script files

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 16:08:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 14:46 +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> > +1.  In general if you have to edit an init startup file, it's a bug.
> > Configuration should be in /etc/sysconfig/foo.
>
> Right. But are we sure our scripts are configurable enough for usages of all
> administrators?

That feels like hyperbole to me.  Of course we're not perfect for every
person in every circumstance.  But we should be close, and if you're
reaction to that problem is to use the hammer of %config - and it's a
big hammer - then it's clear there's a long way to go in the init
scripts to at least capture some large part of the functionality that
people need.

It's an incremental process, not one that will be solved overnight.  But
that's not enough reason to make upgrades not work properly.

> As an administrator, I would like to be able to use Fedora without filling a
> bug when my local settings are incompatible with Fedora's init scripts.

What do you do when a program doesn't do what you need?  These are
little programs, they aren't config files.

--Chris