Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 16:50:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 07:51 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 27.02.2007 01:40, Warren Togami wrote:
> > = Strawman of Fedora Developer Ranking System v1 =
> > This concept document contains only *IDEAS* of why we would want a
> > ranking system, and how a ranking system might be useful.  Below are
> > only examples.  Please add your ideas to this thread.
> > [...]
>
> As two other (red hat) people said "overkill" and "Overly complex" I'd
> like to say the opposite: I like the direction, but would like to see
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-February/msg00764.html
> integrated. Sure, maybe some other details need to be adjusted, but this
> scheme might meld a lot to get new people involved and growing up in the
> project. And that's hardly needed and the best for the project.
>
> Even if the system is a bit more complex than what we have now -- it
> lowers the bar (that's quite high ATM) to get involved into Fedora, and
> that's important to get new people in. It's thus a step into the right
> direction.

I think the specific proposal is too complex.  (It _is_ a strawman,
after all!)  But I like the idea of doing something like this.  The
incentives are nice, but I'm more interested in allowing people to
choose their level of participation in a particular part of the project.
For example, there are a large number of packages that I care about, but
I don't need to own.  I just want to be informed when there are changes.
Or if someone is doing translations for a particular package, they
should be able to watch that package for changes and jump in when that
happens.  As near as I can tell that's not easy right now.  Some
examples of the kinds of things that I'm talking about:

o Watcher - "I care about this package."
o Developer - "I should be consulted when there are major changes to
this package."
o Owner - "I am accountable for changes in this package.  The buck stops
here."
o Hacker - "I can make changes to this package."

(Extra bonus points to Red Hat people who know where these four things
come from.)

People will naturally work their way up the stack, and this is more
self-descriptive than just numbers.  And I would think in terms of
responsibilities, not merit badges.  We want delegation to scale here.

--Chris