/etc/sysconfig detour

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Wed Feb 28 21:23:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:

> (...) promote
> configuration to happen in an /etc/sysconfig/<init> file.

I think this is a moment to think about the fact that in some parts of the
world, /etc/sysconfig is understood as a hopeless redhat:ism. The reason
why it is there and why you sometimes, only having experience with other
distributions (yeah I know SuSE use it too nowadays), or even with other
POSIX systems, are surprised with finding important config stuff in
/etc/sysconfig after looking around elsewhere for some time.

Example: Fedora /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 define config
for eth0 to be used at boot and run level changes.

In Debian this is at /etc/network/interface I think.

In Gentoo supposedly in a third place.

In BSD, Solaris, Mac OS I dare not even guess anymore, didn't administer
them in years.

We need to note down, in the guidelines or so:

* Why we put things in /etc/sysconfig in a very clear, concise and
   understandable manner, that noone can misunderstand (though they might
   disagree)

* That we think it would be a natural thing to have in the FHS! (And let
   those who have energy for it lobby to get it into there.)

I have no doubt that Jesse can put this in very clear words, problem is
that I think noone has ever done that, and it is percieved idiosyncratic.

Linus