Proposed guideline for init script files

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 28 10:17:26 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote :

> Please take a moment to read through
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/InitScripts and provide some
> feedback.  If nobody has major objections or reasonable adjustments, this
> will become policy in a week's time.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, but if it's meant to
become the "init script packaging guidelines", then it's missing all of
the most important parts : The init script's content.

A few things from the top of my mind :
- What output is okay and what output isn't (to look good and play nice
with the graphical boot).
- Which commands should be mandatory and which optional (start, stop,
restart, condrestart and status are the most expected ones, reload
doesn't always make sense).
- Which syntax should be followed in the initial comments for
compatibility with chkconfig and other tools.

I will try to spare some time to write some proposals for these if it
is something we want to try and cover too.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 1.23 1.05 0.64