Plan for tomorrows (20070104) FESCO meeting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 4 02:57:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 19:47 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 08:46:54PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> > this mail and I'll add it to the schedule (I can't promise we will get
> > to it tomorrow, but we'll most likely will if we don't run out of time).
> > You can also propose topics in the meeting while it is in the "Free
> > discussion around Fedora Extras" phase.
>
> Item: "syslog-ng patent problems"

Fair enough.  However, there are a few things to remember.

1) none of FESCo are lawyers

2) Based on what little I've found, it seems Huawei will not assert any
patents against parties that are implementing the standard they claim to
be patenting as long as said parties don't assert rights against Huawei
and the implementation is necessary for compliance to the standard.
See: https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=724

3) I am not a lawyer

4) Removing syslog-ng at this point seems premature

5) I am not a lawyer

So, FESCo can certainly discuss it, but I'd recommend sending it to Red
Hat Legal for opinions before making any sort of decision on it.

josh