Plan for tomorrows (20070104) FESCO meeting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 5 11:50:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:19 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:46:54 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the next
> > FESCo meeting that scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday at 18:00 UTC in
> > #fedora-extras on irc.freenode.org.
> >
> > > /topic FESCO-Meeting -- EPEL -- mmcgrath, dgilmore -- EPEL doesn't really lift of -- what do?
> >

> EPEL steering and status update coverage is non-existant. That's IMHO, at
> least.
>
> One benefit of stepping down from FESCO and not lurking 24/7 on IRC is
> that I can observe things from the perspective of an ordinary contributor
> with the risk of being subscribed to the wrong mailing-lists.
>
> So, what do I know about EPEL? extras.108.redhat.com is dead, at least on
> the mailing-list. Not enough momentum [and decision-power] from those who
> wanted to lift it off. EPEL owners.list in CVS is filled with a weird
> choice of initial packages. Where those additions (and package versions)

The initial packages were done on a trial basis to get the buildsys up
and running and tested.

> are discussed is not known to me. EPEL builds have happened silently,
> giving the impression of a private playground. There are builds waiting to

Until the infrastructure team felt comfortable that the buildsys was
working properly, it wasn't open to contributors.

> be published. But is it even known yet where to keep the repository? Is a

Yes, the repo location is known.

> mirroring system in place? And while the Extras' pushscript can be
> configured with a Config_EPEL.py module to push EPEL packages just fine,
> most likely the interest in waiting for Luke Macken's update system work
> to be usable seems bigger.

I believe EPEL is open to contributors that currently have 5 or more
packages and/or sponsor status.  There is no need to wait for Luke's
work.

However, one thing that contributors might want wait on is an updated
mock package with EPEL configs.  I've got a bug opened to get that done
and just need to find some time.

josh