Disttag for Fedora 7 and beyond

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 5 13:14:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:56 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 05:52 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > Definitely the simplest solution so far :)
> > > This would save a lot of hassle.
> >
> > Why?  Unless you've hard coded the dist tag in the spec file (which you
> > shouldn't be doing), if the dist tag changes on the buildsys you don't
> > even have to make any changes.  A rebuild will just add the new dist
> > tag.
> >
> > What hassle am I missing?
> The hassle,
> - this discussion is causing ;)

Sure :)

> - of having to examine specs dist-tags

They shouldn't have passed review if they are hard coded.  If they did,
a bug needs to be opened to fix it anyway.

> - of having to adapt other SW (e.g. scripts in buildsystems,
>   build scripts, html scripts on web sites etc.)

As far as I know, it's a single file to change.

> - of a mass rebuild

Which is likely to get done anyway around Test2.  It's been done for the
past 2 releases.

> - of badly chosen dist-tags, such as .f7

That isn't really a hassle.  It just needs to not be done. :)

josh