Disttag for Fedora 7 and beyond

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Jan 6 11:49:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:41:44 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Right.  I think in this case the first thing I'd want to know is what
> does hardcoding a disttag buy you that not having a disttag at all does
> not?  With that information, a more informed decision could be made.

Hardcoding a dist tag explicitly flags the package as being made for that
dist by the packager. That is visible in the file name, too.

A simple mass-rebuild would not pretend that the package has been updated
(read: prepared for the new dist). It would need a package maintainer to
update customisation and integration patches first before changing the
dist tag would make sense.