Co-maintainersip policy for Fedora Packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jan 24 19:18:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 14:08, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> All packages in Fedora Extras shall normally be maintained by a group of
> maintainers. Each package normally should have at least three
> maintainers in total. There is one primary maintainer and a primary
> maintainer per distribution release (both often will be identical); he
> should have at least one co-maintainer per release.

This feels like we're dictating how people should manage their packages.  Why
should EVERY package have more than one maintainer?  There are some pretty
simple packages out there, does it really need 3?  Do we really want to tell
everybody that we don't trust just them, we need to trust 3 of them?  Why is
this necessary?

> Maintainers and sponsors are encouraged to use co-maintainership to
> educate new contributors an help them getting involved and integrated
> into the Project.

This above paragraph is all you need (and the tools to easily support this)

> Maintainers should hand over packages to
> co-maintainers when they have lots of packages to improve the quality,
> share the load and get people involved.

again, dictating.  You're saying that just because you own more than a few
packages, you're automatically lowering the quality of those packages, or you
automatically can't handle the load.  This is a bad and very unfriendly
assumption to make.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora