Co-maintainersip policy for Fedora Packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 24 20:26:08 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating schrieb:
> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 14:21, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I think we've already reached the point where we need to get new people
>> into the game via co-maintainership. At the same time people that
>> proofed to be capable should get higher in the game and get involved in
>> the more important and more complicated stuff now that Core and Extras
>> merge.
> This is a problem though, as I don't want to hand over access to my package to
> somebody who is fresh to the scene.

Nobody requested that.

>  I'd like to have seen them do their own
> packaging for a while and know that they won't make silly mistakes with my
> packages.
>
> Maintainer shadowing perhaps?  Watch what I do, ask questions along the way,
> learn, grow, etc...?

That in the proposal already. Here is a slightly modified variant of a
relevant section.

New contributors that seems to be willing to get more involved could
become a co-maintainer for a package without build permissions. Educate
those co-maintainers a bit and tell them about the backgrounds of the
package and how it was maintained in the past. Then let the
co-maintainer do some work and watch him. If he does a good job give him
more responsibilities over time and while stepping back from it more and
more over time. At some point hand over the job as primary (release)
maintainer to the co-maintainer when he did the job fine; become a
co-maintainer for the package at the same time. If the new primary
maintainer continues to do a good job consider stepping away completely
to yet make more room for a new packager to get involved.

Insert a "let the new co-maintainer watch the doings for some time" if
you want. But I don't think that will be needed if the new co-maintainer
does not get build permissions in the beginning.

CU
thl