new features in package CVS

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 00:51:05 UTC 2007

> Tonight we're planning on deploying a couple of new features in
> CVS for packages. If you read the FESCo meeting notes, you've
> already heard about them.
>
> 1) ACLs
>
> To add an ACL to your package, add a 'pkg.acl' file to either
> the package toplevel, or to a particular branch, such as FC-6
> or devel. ACLs are inherited; branches will inherit ACLs from
> the toplevel.
>
> The ACL file format is simply a list of account names, one per
> line. You can add comment lines with '#'.

Which account name?  Fedora Account System name or something different?

> Access is determined as follows:
>
>   No pkg.acl file: all are allowed access
>
>   Empty pkg.acl file: only the package owner [1] is allowed access.
>
>   Populated pkg.acl file: only the package owner and those in
>   the file are allowed access.
>
> pkg.acl files can only be added/deleted/modified by the package
> owner.
>
> As part of this change, there are two changes to how certain
> processes will work:
>
>   - owners.list and owners.epel.list are now locked down. To request
>   changes, please send mail to cvsadmin-members at fedoraproject.org.
>   (This may be replaced with the wiki or the ticketing system really
>   fast.)

Additions to initialcclist go through this as well?

Are there any changes to the format of owners.list?

>   - packages, by default, on import will have a empty pkg.acl added.
>   These can be removed by the owner if they truly wish.

Are there methods for adding groups to acls that can't be removed by the
package maintainer?  Extras has policy to allow sponsors to make changes
to other people's packages if there's a need.

> 2) E-mail notification
>
> By defalt, e-mail notification will now be sent on all package
> commits to the package owner, and any co-maintainers listed in
> the pkg.acl files. The format will be exactly the same format
> as is sent to the commits list.

Cool.  Is the code tucked away in a cvs repo or on the server where I
can take a look?  (I'll need to pull acls from this system into the
packagedb and also allow setting the acls from the packagedb.)

-Toshio