[Fwd: Broken dependencies in Fedora 7 + Test Updates - 2007-06-21]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 17:45:38 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 13:23:21 Jon Ciesla wrote:
> For future reference, if I wanted to do this the disttagless way in the
> future, how does inheritance "work"?  Let's say I build for F-7 and it has
> no disttag.  What do I do to get it into F-8?  This still doesn't solve
> the FC-6 problem, either, though I imagine that goes away when FC-6 moves
> to Koji.
>
> Thanks all!

"disttag" has nothing to do with it.  Basically koji has the concept of
inheritance.  When we create a new distribution tag, say dist-f8, we
configure it to inherit from the previous distro's updates, ie
dist-fc7-updates.  dist-fc7-updates inherits from dist-fc7, which in theory
inherits from dist-fc6-updates, and so on.

If you did an update and it was pushed stable (and thus tagged for
dist-fc7-updates), then getting a listing of what's "in" dist-f8 would show
that build, provided that no builds of said package were tagged for dist-f8.
This is how we "bootstrap" new collections and take advantage of already done
QA work.

Our compose tools will ask koji for all the 'latest' packages that can be seen
via a given tag.  Inheritance is followed.  How "latest" is determined is:

Look at the tag, are there any builds of <foo> that are specifically tagged
for dist-f8, if so, use the one that most recently got the tag.  If not, look
at priority 1 inheritance and ask the same question, go until you find a
build.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora