Messy Update....

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 12:12:55 UTC 2007

I'm looking for a little help with a potential messy update.

Basically, a configuration file is been moved from one package
to another, dependent, package. So if the package that contains
the old config file is not completely removed when the package
with the new config file is installed, there will be file
conflict....

Now here is the context

nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-9 moving to nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-10
nfs-utils-1.0.10-7 moving to nfs-utils-1.1.0-1

nfs-utils depends on nfs-utils-lib

nfs-utils-1.0.10-7 contains the obsolete config file
nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-9 contains the new config file

So when nfs-utils-lib upgraded there a file confliction
because the file already exists in nfs-utils-1.0.10-7.

Now if you force install nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-10 or
remove nfs-utils then install nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-10
then things work...

So is there some rpm spec file magic I can to make
this work? Is there a way to remove a package for
another one is installed? Are force upgrades an option?

tia,

steved.