Fever available for all packages

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Jul 10 13:24:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Till Maas wrote:
> On Mo Juli 9 2007, Micha? Bentkowski wrote:
>> You may be right. However, I think that it would be better to have
>> fever directory in cvs with everybody permitted to edit this (like
>> owners some time ago). What do you think?
>
> Where do you see the advantages of this approach? The only one I see, is that
> it is easier (i.e. it is faster and need less network traffic, unless you
> already have a complete up-to-date cvs tree) to collect all regular
> expressions.

  Agreed.

> But the disadvantages are, that it is much easier to create a conflict
> (at least there is a warning in the comps howto, that one should update
> before and after one edited the file, but I do not know, whether or not
> CVS detects conflicts), every maintainer needs to monitor this file to
> make sure, that the regular expressions of his packages are not
> (accidently) destroyed.

  As I recall, CVS has a little bit better conflict detection than the
wiki.  Each file has a revision ID.  When you check out a file, edit it,
and commit it, CVS creates a log with the current and new revision
numbers.  If your interpretation of the current revision number isn't the
same as the one in the CVS repository, it errors out telling you as much.
I specifically recall this happening while editing owners.list during a
busy period. :-)
  If we were going with the one-CVS-module approach, I'd at least keep each
package's regexp in their own file (fever/package.txt instead of
package/fever.txt or whatnot).  That would reduce conflicts to almost
nothing.

      Jima