foo vs. foo+

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Jul 21 02:15:19 UTC 2007

Imagine there are two projects: foo and foo+. foo+ is a fork, a
different flavor of foo, but both offer the same functionality and are
compatible for other apps that sit on top of foo(+).

Now both projects want to be included in fedora. First of all, both
packages need a Conflicts: foo conflicts foo+ and foo+ conflicts foo.

Ok so far, but foo+ also needs a "Provides: foo", and I wonder if is
  Provides: foo
  Conflicts: foo
really is a good idea. And can/should we use versioned Provides: here?
As foo+ is usually slightly ahead of foo, I'm afraid that yum would
replace foo with foo+.

Ideas, Comments?
Christoph available