foo vs. foo+

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jul 21 12:05:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 01:33:06PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Saturday 21 July 2007, Florian La Roche wrote:

No, that's a different bug probably. If one of the virtual provides
was a real entity then you trigger another rpm bug that was tagged a
feature (check bugzilla for concurrent python of some sound libs from
ccrma for details, I don't have the bz# handy): It automatically
introduces silent Obsoletes ...

> > > Do you have a test case available where rpm/yum ignores the version?
> >
> > For "Provides: foo" and "Requires: foo >= 1.0" the version information
> > is just ignored and this always matches.
>
> I wouldn't say anything is ignored there; I tend to think of Provides: foo
> as "Provides foo, all versions of it".  But perhaps that's just playing with
> words.

That were the semantics that were applied to rpm and the versionless
syntax above, Ville's wording strike the specification back then quite
accurately. This was the ancient painful Provides: kernel issue.

E.g. Florian's example is exactly what should not be done.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net