gkrellm license change notificaition

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 19:04:18 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Sunday 22 July 2007, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Ville Skyttä wrote:
>>>
>>> What implications does this have on gkrellm plugins, most of which
>>> I think are currently "GPL v2 or later"?
>>
>> IANAL, but I guess that when used with the latest gkrellm they have
>> just become GPL v3 or later.
>
> In that case, do packagers need to do something about the v2+
> copyright notices included in the plugin packages or embedded in
> their code?

If the copyright notice includes the text (or something similar):

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version."

Then wouldn't it already be covered?

Changing it to something like "version 3 of the License, or (at your
option) any later version" would seem wrong to me, as it would place a
limitation on the end-user that wasn't intended by the copyright
holder (and a limitation that AFAIK isn't needed by Fedora in order to
distribute the package).

Left to Her own devices, nature cures stupidity.