gkrellm license change notificaition

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 19:25:27 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Dunno.  When combined with v3 work (which I gather is what happens
> when one compiles a gkrellm plugin against the new v3 gkrellm), it
> would seem to me that the result is no longer distributable as v2.
> If that's the case, saying "v2 or later" in the copyright notices
> bundled with the distributable doesn't sound right to me.

Why not?  I think it seems reasonable.

The author of the plugin has expressed in the copyright notice that
their code may be used under the terms of v2 or later.  If Fedora
ships this for use with a v3 gkrellm, the "or later version" covers
that distribution.  If, for some reason, an end user wants to take the
code from that plugin and put it to use with some v2 code, that isn't
something that Fedora should be preventing by changing the copyright
notices that the author has put in place.

(I suppose I should make it clear that IANAL and these are just my
opinions. :)

Bureaucracy is the enemy of innovation.
    -- Mark Shepherd, former President and CEO of Texas Instruments