Font packages changes required for dropping chkfontpath/xfs

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Jul 30 20:03:03 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote, at 07/31/2007 04:27 AM +9:00:
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 04:26 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>> >From packaging issue:
>>
>> Kristian Høgsberg wrote, at 07/31/2007 03:52 AM +9:00:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As you may know, xfs and chkfontpath is going away for Fedora 8.
>>>
>>> Third party font packages, if any, will need to drop their configuration
>>> symlink in /etc/X11/fontpath.d rather than run chkfontpath.
>>>
>>> What I've done for the packages I've updates (the xorg-x11 font
>>> packages) is to install the symlink in %install and just list it in the
>>> %files section.
>>>
>>>         %define fontdir %{_datadir}/fonts/default/ghostscript
>>>         %define catalogue /etc/X11/fontpath.d
>>>
>>>         %install
>>>         # Install catalogue symlink
>>>         mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{catalogue}
>>>         ln -sf %{fontdir} $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{catalogue}/ghostscript
>> The symlink should be not absolute but relative, shouldn't be?
>
> Which will do you exactly no good, because the only path component they
> have in common, is / .
>
> Seriously.  What does a relative symlink win you here?

As I said "from packaging issue", current Fedora's packaging policy is:
$ rpmlint -I symlink-should-be-relative
symlink-should-be-relative :
Absolute symlinks are problematic eg. when working with chroot environments.

And we already have the example in which the common path is only /
$ ls -al /usr/lib/libz.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2007-05-31 14:53 /usr/lib/libz.so -> ../../lib/libz.so.1.2.3