Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jun 1 12:24:33 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> It gives a chance for people to test and provide feedback.

>>> With the number of regressions have, it's more like break early,
>>> break often.
>>>

>> As I already said, new packages don't cause regressions, unless the
>> new package does something really stupid
>
> Ok. Not regressions. New problems. When we push out packages we need
> room to allow some amount of testing. If you are a pushing out a new
> package the update system can push it out to updates-testing and
> automatically move it to updates a week or so later if no bugs are
> reported.
>
> No additional burden for you.

You are currently debating things one argument at a time, please reply to my
original mail as a whole, I've numbered the arguments this case, you're above
reasoning is flawed because of arguments 2,3,4 and 5. With esp arguments
2, 4 and 5 being important. Also in order for "normal" users to be able to see
the new package it must be added to comps, does updates-testing have a comps,
if it does -> more manual work, if it doesn't no-one will install it while its
in updates-testing, so we might as well skip updates testing.

1) Can it cause regressions for existing users? -> No

2) Will it get installed automatically by the relative few people who have
updates -testing enabled, and thus see any kind of testing (atleast if its
installable)? -> No

3) Is there any added value in a new package first sitting for a few days in
testing -> No (because of 2)

4) Is it rewarding to packagers if there packages become available to all
immediately -> Yes

5) Are the chances of end-users seeing the package and thus installing it,
leading to it actually getting tested better in updates-testing, or in updates? ->
Beter in updates, so if you want testing the package should go to updates, let
me reiterate that this package cannot cause any regressions as if people don't
install it explicitly, it will be as if it isn't there.

Remember release early, release often

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Wasn't this all already discussed and decided that new packages could short
circuit updates-testing????