Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 1 12:43:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:24 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> 1) Can it cause regressions for existing users? -> No

It can cause new problems.

> 2) Will it get installed automatically by the relative few people who have
> updates -testing enabled, and thus see any kind of testing (atleast if its
> installable)? -> No

You're making an assumption that there are few people that enable
updates-testing.

> 3) Is there any added value in a new package first sitting for a few days in
> testing -> No (because of 2)

Yes.  The QA team can at least install from there and see if it starts.

> 4) Is it rewarding to packagers if there packages become available to all
> immediately -> Yes

Instant gratification of packagers, while a good thing, is trumped by
testing and verification of packages.

> 5) Are the chances of end-users seeing the package and thus installing it,
> leading to it actually getting tested better in updates-testing, or in updates? ->
> Beter in updates, so if you want testing the package should go to updates, let
> me reiterate that this package cannot cause any regressions as if people don't
> install it explicitly, it will be as if it isn't there.

Yes, there are greater chances for it being installed from updates.
Which is why it gets pushed there after a small amount of time.  This
time delay can be mitigated even further by providing comments to the
update saying you've tested it and it work on multiple machines, etc.
At the least, the QA team (SIG if you will) can grab it and one of them
can comment on it.

And the fact that you flat out said "if you want testing the package
should go to updates" really concerns me.  End users are NOT for
testing.  The package should be tested as much as possible before it
even gets into their hands.

josh