Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jun 1 12:58:06 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> Instant gratification of packagers, while a good thing, is trumped by
> testing and verification of packages.

I would agree if there would be any worthwhile testing, which there simply
won't be for may types of more niche packages.

>> 5) Are the chances of end-users seeing the package and thus installing it,
>> leading to it actually getting tested better in updates-testing, or in updates? ->
>> Beter in updates, so if you want testing the package should go to updates, let
>> me reiterate that this package cannot cause any regressions as if people don't
>> install it explicitly, it will be as if it isn't there.
>
> Yes, there are greater chances for it being installed from updates.
> Which is why it gets pushed there after a small amount of time.  This
> time delay can be mitigated even further by providing comments to the
> update saying you've tested it and it work on multiple machines, etc.
> At the least, the QA team (SIG if you will) can grab it and one of them
> can comment on it.
>
> And the fact that you flat out said "if you want testing the package
> should go to updates" really concerns me.  End users are NOT for
> testing.  The package should be tested as much as possible before it
> even gets into their hands.

It has been tested, since its a new package it has just been completely
reviewed, and as part of that hopefully started / tested by the reviewer, add
to that that reviews are often done by SIG members, with experience with the
type of application, what more could you want?

I _really_ see no use for new packages being in updates-testing, this only
makes the process to get new packages into Fedora one step longer, which makes
it less attractive to add new packages, without giving anything substantial in
return. Remember new packages have just been thoroughly vetted during review
and are already installed and run by the reviewer.

Regards,

Hans