Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 13:29:50 UTC 2007

On Friday 01 June 2007 08:58:06 Hans de Goede wrote:
> I _really_ see no use for new packages being in updates-testing, this only
> makes the process to get new packages into Fedora one step longer, which
> makes it less attractive to add new packages, without giving anything
> substantial in return. Remember new packages have just been thoroughly
> vetted during review and are already installed and run by the reviewer.

Look, you're adding a new package to a stable platform.  The review most
likely focused on devel, where you can get your instant gratification.  For a
released platform, your new package should hopefully have a level of
stability that should be expected of a released platform.  Try as we might,
we're not perfect, and we can't simulate the wide variety of
software/hardware sets that would use our package.  Therefor getting a wider
audience to try out new things in an updates-testing manner before lobbing it
over the wall as a released update to a stable platform is the responsible
thing to do.

And you know what, adding software to a stable platform _should_ be a bit
harder.  We don't want to just chuck every new package that tickles our fancy
at the released products, especially as many of the maintainers are working
on rawhide and not on the past release, or the past release -1.  These
packages to stable platforms deserve extra scrutiny and extra care as to not
destabilize a release and feed to the negative impressions of Fedora as
nothing but a perpetual beta.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora