Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 1 14:01:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 15:10 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 01.06.2007 14:43, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:24 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >> 3) Is there any added value in a new package first sitting for a few days in
> >> testing -> No (because of 2)
> > Yes.  The QA team can at least install from there and see if it starts.
And what gives?

Any package above a certain size or certain complexity is filled with
known and unknown bugs. It's only a matter of how one defines a
testsuite to expose such bugs.

> +1 -- and from what I've heard it looks to me that the new QA stuff
> might make it quite easy to just push some kind of button to say "there
> is a problem, please don't push"
That's the negation of testing - As in mathematics, one counter proof
suffices to bring a proof down.

Anybody being intimate with a SW probably is able to provide a case to
expose a bug - So, what kind of additional quality would "testing"
provide? I don't see any.

Ralf