Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 16:00:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 15:10 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 01.06.2007 14:43, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:24 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> 1) Can it cause regressions for existing users? -> No
> > It can cause new problems.
>
> +1
>
> >> 2) Will it get installed automatically by the relative few people who have
> >> updates -testing enabled, and thus see any kind of testing (atleast if its
> >> installable)? -> No
> > You're making an assumption that there are few people that enable
> > updates-testing.
>
> /me has it enabled on nearly all of his machines and that way prevented
> at least once or twice in the past that bad updates hit updates-proper

How often do you install new packages from updates-testing?

I use updates-testing just like a lot of other people, but I've never
installed new packages from it, I don't even know how to see which new
packages are available there without listing the directory.

If you insist on having it go through updates-testing, then it should be
automated, ie. the first build of the new package in a particular distro
should get submitted through the errata tool automatically.