Pushing from updates-testing to updates

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 16:14:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 10:56 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Is there a policy (or guideline) in place for pushing packages from
> updates-testing to the updates repo?

We talked about this a bit in yesterday's QA meeting. Here's a first
draft of our proposal.

Pushing from updates-testing to updates currently requires intervention
from a rel-eng person (i.e. someone who has the official signing key).
But how do they know when a package is ready to go?

Each update in Bodhi's Testing Updates list (i.e. the stuff in
updates-testing) should have a "QA Verified" flag. If the flag is set,
the package should be considered ready to go live.

How does the flag get set? One of two ways:

1) The QA team (i.e. pretty much anyone who can use bodhi and knows how
to do basic package sanity checking) will go through that list and
verify the packages in the updates.

2) After a week in updates-testing, the flag is automatically set - this
matches the traditional updates-testing behavior for Core.

"Verifying" a package means doing basic sanity testing - install the
packages, make sure there's no broken dependencies, make sure binaries
run without segfaulting, etc. We'll post package verification guidelines
on the wiki for discussion and refinement.

Does that sound reasonable?

-w