Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jun 2 01:57:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 19:32 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> It can cause new problems.
> >
> > +1

> >> You're making an assumption that there are few people that enable
> >> updates-testing.
> >
> > /me has it enabled on nearly all of his machines and that way prevented
> > at least once or twice in the past that bad updates hit updates-proper
>
> I have updates-testing set up too, but remember it won't install new
> packages, only update existing ones. Is anyone going to install all
> *new* packages that hit updates-testing automatically ?
As a "normal user", of a "stable distro", I would never want to use
updates-testing, because the distro is defined as "stable".

I would only consider using individual packages for "testing them
locally", when being victim of bugs in "stable" and being asked/pointed
to packages from other sources. It's essentially the same as with
individual maintainers pointing bug reporters to private sites or to
rawhide (The infamous FIXEDRAWHIDE).

As a developer, I would only consider packages from "testing" if I know
there is something new inside, I am particularly interested in.

Ralf