Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Jun 3 14:07:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:46:27 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2007 07:12:48 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Security updates go straight to Stable already.
> >
> > They shouldn't. They should undergo an automated procedure to assure
> > they fit cleanly into the existing installations and don't break package
> > deps.
>
> This is not always practical.  Should a firefox remote exploit fix be held up
> because a fringe package that builds against FF and is used by say 5 people
> hasn't been rebuilt yet?  Should every use suffer?  I seriously hope not.

Hence there must be strategies which deal with these situations.
It is not acceptable that a user suffers from a broken dependency,
which makes it impossible to update FF, while the packager who
could fix the broken dep perhaps is on vacation, awol, whatever,
and it takes days if not weeks to find out.