Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Jun 3 14:57:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:25:16 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

> While I surely understand that we should take security updates
> very important, please keep in mind that I hear on Fedora BBS
> (in Japan) about the strong complaint about dependency break more and
> more times than the delay of security related updates.

+1

That guy has understood!

The security-fix is useless to an unknown number of users, who run
into broken deps. The repository remains broken till a packager
is informed about the breakage and supplies a fix. My personal
experience with the broken deps reports is that many packagers
become active in cvs shortly after receiving the mail and seldomly
before receiving the mail. That is a strong indication that
(1) packagers could provide rebuilds quicker when learning about
a security update in the queue, and (2) when being informed as
soon as the security update is published.