Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sun Jun 3 16:05:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 17:29 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:08:23AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > /topic RELENG-Meeting - Updates Policy - JesseKeating
>
> About update policy, first I think that it should be easy to do
> something like:
>
> make go-to-release
>
> which would use the changelog entry (or something similar). If I recall
> well this is already more or less agreed.

Yes.  I think Luke is working on a bodhi command line client (or will
be) that could be wrapped in the makefiles.

> It should also be possible for a maintainer to decide what amount of
> time the package should stay in the testing repo. The default would be
> something reasonable (one week?). The rel-eng team could have the
> possibility to block the update at any time if they find something is
> abnormal.
>
> For example
> make go-to-release 1
> would make the package stay 1 day in testing repo.

That would be the point that needs the most discussion.

> And there should be automatic checks for broken deps, for duplicated
> provides, for upgrade path.

That is planned.  Just needs coding.  I think everyone agrees that would
be a very good thing to have.

> > /topic RELENG-Meeting - Freeze Policy - JesseKeating
>
> On that topic, I think that during a freeze there shouldn't be a need to
> mail to rel-eng to push to the frozen collection. It should be a
> specific target, so for example to push to the frozen collection one
> should do
>
> make build
> make go-to-freeze
>
> Then the rel-eng would see that (together with the changelog entry), and
> block if something seems dubious, or if it is too late in the freeze. It

Their ability to do that, under those circumstances, might be limited.
Rel-eng doesn't immediately know if it's too invasive, which is why a
request is sent.  Not all changelogs are descriptive.  But perhaps
something better could be done, yes.

Also remember there will be a point in time where things are completely
frozen so that ISOs can be made.  During that (relatively) short period
of time, the push feature would be disabled.

josh