Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jun 4 07:05:35 UTC 2007

On 04.06.2007 08:17, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora at leemhuis.info) said:
>> Why precisely?
>> The files in the release dir could simply be hardlinked to rawhide when
>> the release directories gets created for the first time. Then the mirror
>> should get them in some minutes without much pain.
> The actual release trees are (at least by some mirrors) treated
> as a sync-once-then-ignore target.

Well, I suppose that could be changed if we really want to.

> Moreover, you'll have to explain
> to those users why the stuff in /8 isn't actually F8...

True. But the repos are in place and users that install the F8-RC can
just continue to use it and will get F8 automatically by running "yum
update" -- that's what a lot of people want afaics. But there are likely
other and better solutions to make that work. A F8-7.98 tree in the
proper place for example that gets symlinked to the final tree for a
while later, so users that run yum update get the final bits
automatically, without adjusting their yum configuration.

CU
thl