Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jun 4 15:01:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:41:04AM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 16:11 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > This is on FESCo's schedule to discuss after F7 was released.
> >
> > Does that mean that releng needs to wait for fesco to first decide on
> > that to develop a freezing strategy for F8 and beyond? Because having
> > mass-rebuilds shortly before or as part of the freeze certainly offers
> > two completely different scenarios to start from to discuss freezing
> > at all.
>
> To develop a freezing strategy for releases? No.  The plan is for FESCo
> to discuss whether any changes to the build toolchain warrants a mass
> rebuild.  My guess is this would be sometime around T1 time probably.

The freezing strategy is releng's job. So releng would have to wait
until test1 to know whether there will be a mass-rebuild to really
discuss freezing? Also when scheduling F8 one needs to be aware
whether there will be any mass-rebuilds to make sure the freezing test
release has enough time before GA.

So deciding when test1 will be may be depending on the decision you
want to make at test1 time, sounds a bit like catch22.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net