use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jun 4 18:11:14 UTC 2007

On 04.06.2007 19:57, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:20:43 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> [...]
> As a side-note, I've understood thl's hack, but I don't like it for
> cosmetical reasons

Well, it fixes cosmetical reasons ;-)

> and because of the fact that it compares alpha-numerical
> dist tags with "1" which sounds wrong to me.

Yes, you have a point there. But *for me* the benefits overweight the
"sounds wrong to me" part.

> It also opens the door to accidental and superfluous builds for "Released
> Updates", since a "make tag build" would tag and rebuild an unchanged
> package with the changed %dist. In short: 1.0-3.fc7 => 1.0-3.1 (forced
> rebuild with %dist changed at beginning of F8 devel cycle) => 1.0-3.fc8
> (accidental make tag build after F8 release)

Well, yes, that could happen. But I think that's a corner case. if the
maintainer runs "make tag" then he has a reason to -- e.g. he changed
something. And when he changes something he should always update release
left of %{?dist}.

> Perhaps koji already rejects such requests,

Don't think so.

> but EVR problem checkers won't recognise that 1.0-3.1 in F9
> devel is out-of-sync with F8 Released Updates, since 1 > fc8,

Well, that's afaics a general problem if somebody tries to build
something in updates that has a lower %{release} as in the released repo.

> [...]

CU
knurd (who still often types thl here...)