Merge Review

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Jun 4 19:50:08 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Ruben Kerkhof <ruben at rubenkerkhof.com> wrote:
> Now that Fedora 7 is out the door, I'd like to ask what the plans are
> for the big Merge Review.
> There are still a lot of unassigned tickets, and I think all the
> people working on the Review since january (thanks!) could use some
> help.
> Maybe we can do another Review Day before F-8?

This is something I'd personally like to see FESCo address.  If memory
serves, originally the intent of the merge reviews was to make sure
core packages were reviewed and complied to guidelines like any other
package.  As time wore on, for a variety of reasons the decision was
made (by FESCo?) to treat the review tix as "advisory" and not
blocking a package's inclusion in the Brave Merged World.

Now that we've achieved BMWness and F-7 is out the door, I think there
should be a renewed emphasis on merge reviews, with a timeframe and
actual consequences for non-review.  (Without teeth, they'll never be
done...)  Either that, or we should say "the merge reviews are dead;
file packaging bugs when you find them."  Note I'm not advocating the
latter approach -- just including it here.

Another issue to address now is what to review.  I'd say devel as it
stands in CVS -- reviewing the pakages (or state thereof) at the point
of the tix being created seems rather pointless now.

                                    -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia