use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion (was: Re: Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 00:46:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:42:45PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:21:43 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > So you assume all 500 packagers run a bleeding edge rawhide on a
> > daily basis?
>
> We have test1, test2, ... we have co-maintainers, we *need* to
> prepare the distribution early enough so we have something to offer
> when test1 is released.

So do a rebuild for test1.

> > That's far from being the case.
>
> I know. Now what?
>
> > I don't for one, do you?
>
> Around test1 and afterwards I've tried to prefer rawhide over FC6 as often
> as possible.

You tried. Did you also succeed? Succeed as in installing on your
laptop and using for more than 5 minutes?

If not, then please don't assume that there was a grand QA before the
test releases came out.

> > > Don't generalise.
> > > How compatible are our distribution releases with eachother?
> > > Why rebuild ABI-compatible components?
> >
> > Fedora is not known about keeping ABI compatiblity for a long
> > time, in fact not caring about legacy is part of Fedora's
> > definition and flexibility.
>
> But the gcc, glibc, libstdc++ (and so on) developers inform us about
> when there are changes that ought to [or must] result in rebuilds.

and obvioulsy this didn't cover all packages. I have about twenty that
passed review and 3 of them broke. So that's ~ 1/7th.

> > I think I'll start assigning all bugs that show up due to missing
> > rebuilds to Michael. :)
>
> Do you keep a list already? Put it in the Wiki, and I'm certain,
> more people will take a close look at it.

No, assigning to you will be more fun. ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net