Disttags are nice, save the disttags

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 10:12:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:05:19AM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 05/06/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> >
> >Well, I can only reiterate what I said before: IMO, "full rebuilds" are
> >a hoax blending yourself unless they are performed in "sorted order"
> >and a PITA to maintainers unless they are performed automatically.
>
> Aside: presumably CentOS and Scientific Linux etc have solved the full
> rebuild in order problem. Perhaps it's worth looking at their
> buildsystem.

Oh, that's touchy subject. Not because of CentOS and SL, but because
RHEL is all but self-hosting. Some parts have been taken from FC6
(~15%), so they have been built in some FC6 environment, others from
not anymore existing gcc compilers (or internal ones). I talked to
CentOS last week and there are cases where the CentOS kernel oopses,
when the RHEL one doesn't and vice-versa.

So RHEL and clones are a bad example when it comes to talking about
(re)builds. I think Fedora can do far better than this.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net