Disttags are nice, save the disttags

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 11:22:32 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 07:19:26 Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Right. That's the problem that needs solving, not a reason for not
> doing full rebuilds.
>
> > This is just one example where automated rebuild, while it does some
> > good, doesn't really fix all the problems you think it would.  It just
> > hides them further under the rug under the assumption "But we did a full
> > rebuild, everything should just build fine now..." when in reality your
> > full rebuild didn't accomplish that, it just gave you a warm and (false)
> > fuzzy feeling.
>
> Isn't the warm fuzzy feeling warranted if the above issue is solved
> reproducibly ?

You only solve at the point in which you do the rebuild.  Doing such rebuilds
really invalidates any QA done on the binaries up to that point, so you'd
need to do it early, but then more changes happen throughout the release so
you can't really feel warm and fuzzy at the end of the release that your
rebuilds at the beginning of the release are still valid anymore.  So unless
we do rebuilds again at the end and introduce a long period of testing where
no other builds but bugfixes (but even that changes things!!) are accepted
you don't get your desired results.  And then we have 1 or 2 month old builds
in our release and we get trounced in the media for shipping old software,
and people loose interest in fixing the release if we open rawhide during
that re-testing period, and if we don't we get very upset maintainers who
don't have anything to do...

Seriously the only time rebuilds are really worth it is when you're rebuilding
for a specific reason such as a gcc or rpm change.  Then you ensure what
you're rebuilding for is already in the buildroot, and you build things that
A) make use of it, and B) haven't already been built.  And you do these
things before the Feature freeze.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora