Disttags are nice, save the disttags

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 13:35:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:15:03AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 07:09:11 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Let's not assume packagers are dump package monkeys. Packages from
> > *Core* have been the ones that didn't carry disttags, Extras always
> > did to an extreme high percentage from day one. And there were not
> > really 10% worth of the whole distribution new packages in Core each
> > release, these were packages *consciously* moved to using disttags by
> > @redhat.com employees.
>
> Many core packages picked up dist tags because reviewers recommended
> them

There were no such reviews for FC6 or FC5, and the increase was
steadily 10% over these as well. So it is far more likely that they
"just work" and persuade the packagers to use them.

> However just assuming that everybody KNOWS what it is there for when making a
> new package and understands the consequences of using it is pretty laughable.

Sure, not everyone understands all rpm intricacies, and if all were
geniouses we wouldn't need disttags to aid people to keep their
packages in a proper update ordering. So that's in fact an argument in
favour of disttags.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net