Disttags are nice, save the disttags

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 5 13:39:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:11:35AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 07:04:17 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Why not? Care to detail this?
>
> It's a simple timing issue.  Given you have a build chain 4 packages deep.
>
> First rebuild will rebuild the first package, and all other 3 packages against
> the old build of the first package.
>
> Second rebuild will rebuild the first package again, and all other 3 packages
> against the first rebuild of the first package.
>
> That still leaves packages 3 and 4 as not being rebuilt against the resultant
> rebuilt of package 2 against rebuild of package 1.  You'd have to either
> rebuild 4 times, or insert delays into the rebuild so that 1 lands in
> buildroot before 2, then 2 lands in buildroot before 3, so on and so forth.
>
> This is just one example where automated rebuild, while it does some good,
> doesn't really fix all the problems you think it would.  It just hides them
> further under the rug under the assumption "But we did a full rebuild,
> everything should just build fine now..." when in reality your full rebuild
> didn't accomplish that, it just gave you a warm and (false) fuzzy feeling.

No, you also got it wrong. I'm not talking rebuilding from scratch,
but against rawhide. That's what all mass-rebuild were like until now.

Both rebuilds will succeed (unless there is a bug in the package and
that would be good, so we can fix it): the first one will have
buildrequires from FC6->F7 since that's what the repo looked like, the
second will have fresh buildrequires from the previous pass. No need
to look at N-folded-recusion.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net