use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jun 5 13:55:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 03:42:02PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 08:31:18AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Why can't the entire lifetime of FC6 updates be guaranteed to be < F7
> > or future distros?
>
> Like staying on kernel 2.6.18?

Should RPM versions be based on upstream versions?  Or should we care
to make distro upgrades actually work all the time, every time?  We've
already abused RPM version in kernel packages to meet the goal of RPM
upgradeability.  So how about something like this?

FC6:

kernel-6.2.6.18
kernel-6.2.6.20
kernel-6.2.6.21

F7:

kernel-7.2.6.20
kernel-7.2.6.21

Or perhaps:

FC6:

kernel-6.20061204
kernel-6.20070305
kernel-6.20070605

F7:

kernel-7.20070605
kernel-7.20070612

Yes I realize these are radical ideas, but perhaps we need to rethink
what we use for ordering packages and stop pretending that upstream
version numbers can do this for us.