koji: not building against koji-built packages? bug or user issue?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue Jun 5 16:29:23 UTC 2007

tir, 05 06 2007 kl. 10:28 -0400, skrev Jesse Keating:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 09:31:23 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > I built apt and synaptic in this order:
> >
> > ID: 7866: apt-0.5.15lorg3.2-10.fc7 (Finished: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:46:43
> > MST) ID: 7943: synaptic-0.57.2-7.fc7 (Started Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:59:34
> > MST)
> >
> > e.g. there was more than one day in between. Still the synaptic build
> > used the old apt package, for example:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=25522&name=root.log
> > 0:apt-devel-0.5.15lorg3.2-9.fc7.i386
> >
> > The proper apt package was even in updates-testing since 2007-06-03
> > 21:12:03.
> >
> > Did I do something wrong? If yes, how do I ensure that packages get
> > built against each-other before pushing to updates(-testing)? With the
> > former setup (plague) this was automatic. If not, why did koji not see
> > the 25h old package it built?
>
> It got buried before, but the way that release trees are handled are different
> than rawhide.  In Core, our release update candidates do not autopopulate the
> buildroot.  This is to protect our buildroot from being poisoned by
> potentially bad updates.  They are treated as candidate updates and not
> entered into the buildroot until they are pushed as a stable update.  There
> is an override tag that rel-eng can use to make a build temporarily available
> to build the rest of a stack for an update.  I don't like the scenario at all
> and I'm welcome to ideas.  Just self updating the buildroot seems like a bad
> idea to me and some of my colleagues who have been doing RHL/RHEL stuff for
> far longer than I have.  Ideally we'd have a way to chainbuild things
> together in such a way that it doesn't poison the rest of the buildroots for
> that tag, basically making them available for your build and your build
> alone.  I honestly don't know what kind of work it would take to get this
> though.
>
> Anyway I'm open for discussion.  I went forward with what Core developers are
> used to, and I hoped I had warned people but it probably got lost.  I would
> love to discuss it at a rel-eng meeting, we ran out of time last week.
>
> For now, you can request buildroot overrides by
> mailing 'rel-eng at fedoraproject.org'.  What place in the wiki should this
> information go?

It would be nice if this was at least documented somewhere and it was
included in the "first package" guide. I just submitted Empathy and was
greatly shocked when it built on FC-6 and Devel but failed on F-7
considering I'd done several mock builds just to make sure this would go
smoothly. Now it failed because it depends on
telepathy-mission-control-devel which was introduced a few days ago, I
naively assumed this would work, it's in Fedora after all.

This illogic definitely needs to be mentioned to new users as well as a
guide on how to make the problem go away.

- David Nielsen