Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 6 00:46:49 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> Um... no.  Because enabling development in the first place is a manual
> step.  They are config files.  Pushing a release version of
> fedora-release that blindly turned that off would violate the "don't
> change users configs if they are modified" rule.

Right. In normal situations changing user configurations is something
that we should not do.

  And it would piss off
> the rawhide users that actually _want_ to remain on rawhide and help
> test the next release of Fedora.

Testers usually want to test a single version of Fedora though. Folks
who continuously run rawhide are probably low in number and should be
experienced enough to switch back the devel repository.

> Seriously, using rawhide is a manual choice that has to be made and if
> you want to undo that, it should be manual as well.

Problem with that is many testers did not know when the devel repository
moves beyond Fedora 7 into Fedora 8 and ended with a number of broken
FC8 packages. I don't know whether we consider it a problem worth
solving but I have seen it bite a considerably large number of folks
this time.

Rahul