RFC: fedora-devel-announce

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 6 19:53:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:12:05PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 14:02 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> > Request for Comments before we do this.
> >
> > Purpose
> > =======
> > This list is intended to be an INFREQUENTLY used announce-only list.
> > Whenever there is something important that developers should know about,
> > those subscribed to this list should be able to easily follow changes
> > within the development project.
> >
> > Posts are moderated by <multiple people in FESCO>.
>
> If we do this, we should kill fedora-maintainers.  Since the above was
> the original intent of -maintainers and why it was separated off from
> fedora-devel-list.

My feeling on the development of -devel and -maintainers is the latter
focuses more on the packaging/distribution/infrastructure side of
things. Sure we have dedicated lists for some of these, but tangetial
questions do come up here rather than on the dedicated lists (and it's
understandable, subscribing to fedora-infrastruture to query something
trivial about say the updates system seems like unneeded overhead).

I wouldn't like to see both list "merge" as regardless of SNR the
volume will be just to high. I'm subscribed to both, but fedora-devel
is too much to handle.

So maybe redefining the purposes of these lists is better than
throwing them together?

fedora-devel: development of fedora not regarding packaging,
              releasing, infrastruture etc.

fedora-maintainers: packaging, repo management, release process
              related topics, contributor issues etc.

One could perhaps classify this as high and low level development
discussions.

Both lists should then use the fedora-devel-announce list for the
summaries/announcements etc. and the submitter should choose what to
set the reply-to to, default to one of the two lists (mailman can be
configured to only set a reply-to if one isn't there already).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net