RFC: fedora-devel-announce

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 6 21:44:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 05:06:20PM -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

> >>about, > those subscribed to this list should be able to easily follow
> >>changes > within the development project.

> >>If we do this, we should kill fedora-maintainers.  Since the above was
> >>the original intent of -maintainers and why it was separated off from
> >>fedora-devel-list.
> >
> >My feeling on the development of -devel and -maintainers is the latter
> >focuses more on the packaging/distribution/infrastructure side of
> >things. Sure we have dedicated lists for some of these, but tangetial
> >questions do come up here rather than on the dedicated lists (and it's
> >understandable, subscribing to fedora-infrastruture to query something
> >trivial about say the updates system seems like unneeded overhead).
> >
> >I wouldn't like to see both list "merge" as regardless of SNR the
> >volume will be just to high. I'm subscribed to both, but fedora-devel
> >is too much to handle.
> >
> >So maybe redefining the purposes of these lists is better than
> >throwing them together?
> >
> >fedora-devel: development of fedora not regarding packaging,
> >              releasing, infrastruture etc.
> >
> >fedora-maintainers: packaging, repo management, release process
> >              related topics, contributor issues etc.
>
> Except this is what the noise is.  I'm guessing not too many people want
> to hear about proposals to change packaging guidelines,

I didn't imply to merge fedora-packaging or anything else into
fedora-maintainers, heaven sake! :)

> or release processes.  They just want to package stuff up and will
> abide by whatever guidelines those who care about it decide on.
> They don't want to be involved with the actual process.  Announce
> the change when it's ready, but don't discuss the proposal here.
> That's what people seem to be wanting AFAICT.

For the packaging guidelines this is clear, and wasn't suggested to
move to this list. But there are other processes that are discussed
here, and perhaps rightfully so.

What you really want is the fedora-devel-announce list, which I would
also like to see, the matter of fedora-maintainers vs -devel is a
different subject, and was what I was referring to above.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net